There is a Monster Among Us...

Friday, October 29, 2010

There are monsters among us. None of us are safe. Do you know monsters? I’ll bet you do. This is my story of a monster that walks among us.

The monster has no face; still, is in every face you see. It possesses not those wicked fangs. It is not hirsute beyond compare nor does it exude the demeanor of the dead. Quite simply, there are no signs when this monster is at hand.

The monster waits in ambush. With darkness as its soul, daylight is more a friend. In the shadows it does not lurk, cares not for whom know it there and with evil on its side, an unprovoked attack the monster will dare.

The monster springs in numbers, alone it will never be. Spews forth vile from a mouth that looks almost normal. It speaks with the bone-chilling voice of evil and besieges with a verbal hideous pain. Through the repetitive evil incantation of haunting, it paralyzes you with fear. You are in the grip of a monster.

There is no escape. Your isolation is what it sought and the paralysis of loneliness has left you well within in evils hand. Every repeat of the evil incantation starts to erode away, inch by inch, your sanctity of safety. The submission of ceding ever so slowly begins to cross your mind.

The monster has come before, but of its presence you did not speak. No one will seek your rescue; you know they never will.  If you expose the monster, just mention its inflicted pain, merely allows the monster to grow stronger and yes evil, it knows your name.

Do you know this monster; do you know the victims it does seek? It seeks the lonely, the different, those who do not reflect what its tries so hard to be. It seeks all those things it cannot understand. The monster it fears knowledge and attacks before this you have gained. The monster…

You know it by the name “Bullying,” and I can think of no greater monster. To have evil seek you out, paralyze you with fear and torment you into thinking there is no way out, isolation and terror.

This is the monster we all should fear and seek to destroy. Reach out to one who knows this monster, allow them the knowledge, alone they will never be.

Just had to get that off my mind. I am hoping everyone has a treat filled weekend and Monday brings no TP residue in your trees. (Do kids still do this?)



16 comments:

Summer Ross said, 

around my neighborhood I haven't seen any TP issues in the three years I've been here. and I live next to the highschool. LOL

Great story- again, I say you should write this out in a series of kids books! you have great themes in your stories and they inspire me.

October 29, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
Ann said, 

Great story. Love how you thook the Hlloween theme to make the point. Seasonal and topical.

Popped over from Theresa's Halloween Haunting. Very glad to make your acquaintance.

October 29, 2010 at 10:09 AM  
Bossy Betty said, 

Thanks for this story. These monsters are real, but we can defeat them!

October 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM  
Alex J. Cavanaugh said, 

No kids or monsters better TP my house!

October 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM  
Karen Jones Gowen said, 

One of the most valuable skills a child can learn is how to stand up to a bully. Because deep down a bully is a coward. Thoughtful post-- thank you for the reminder.

October 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM  
Flying high in the sky.... said, 

thanks for sharing this with us :)

October 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM  
N. R. Williams said, 

As always Holly, you create a story to demonstrate with better voice a menace to us all. When I was a child, the class bully was bigger than everyone else. He targeted me. Then one day I saw him near his home. It wasn't on purpose, I didn't know where he lived. He came out and was so nice to me. It gave me at an very young age a different perspective on bullies. They are almost always, very lonely people.
Nancy

N. R. Williams, fantasy author

October 29, 2010 at 1:28 PM  
N. R. Williams said, 

That should be not on purpose.
Nancy

October 29, 2010 at 1:29 PM  
Carolyn Abiad said, 

Only TP around here is on Farmville ;)

October 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM  
Aleta said, 

I agree with the other commenter, this should be a children's story. Excellent job.

No TP that I've seen!

October 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM  
Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said, 

And then there is the societal bullying perpetrated en masse. The scorn and disregard heaped on whole segments of our population by people who should know better. Pisses me off.

Don't get me started, that rebel, Olivia

October 29, 2010 at 6:03 PM  
Mary@GigglesandGuns said, 

Tp-ing still goes on around here but I'm not so sure it's all kids.

Loved the story and definitely agree with those who say great kid story.

October 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM  
The Words Crafter said, 

Bullies suck. And I agree with others in that they're usually insecure or cowardly.

Two of my co-workers (very young ones) TP'd our director's house last year. I fear to imagine what my husband would do to them....eeek!

Happy Halloween!

October 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM  
Karen Lange said, 

I agree, there's no reason for bullying. Ever.

Have a good weekend,
Karen

October 29, 2010 at 8:23 PM  
Golden Eagle said, 

Bullying is horribly on the rise these days--it seems to be everywhere. :(

Great piece of writing, though!

I haven't seen any TP . . . yet. LOL.

October 30, 2010 at 8:05 AM  
Tammy said, 

I agree about the children's book. Most schools have had anti-bullying policies in place, so I see much less than I used to. People still T.P. here, but some years are busier than others. I haven't seen any in a while!

October 31, 2010 at 12:00 AM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP