Blog Fest: My Top 10 Television Shows

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Today I am participating in Alex’s Blog Fest where I am to note my “Top 10 Television Shows.” Now me being a Baby Boomer I grew up when 3 channels were all you had to chose from and you watched real entertainment.

I have never been one to just sit and watch television though. As a kid I would rather be outside playing and this continued up into my forties. Now there just is not a lot of great television to watch, thank goodness for PBS. So here is my list.




Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea: I loved the adventure of this show and it had monsters. Besides that sub had a lot of buttons to push and I love buttons.
Dark Shadows: The streets in our neighborhood emptied every day at 4 because this show was on. For me it was dark, entertaining and scared the bejesus out of me. But then our TV was in the basement.  

Laugh-In: Was the psychedelic show of the time. Who could forget “Sock it to me?” Ruth Buzzi as the bag lady who always hit the dirty old man in the park, I loved that character.  
Star Trek: Original cast, though I’m still a fan it was the original I’m most fond of. My favorite episode was the furry tribbals.  

Midnight Special: Wolfman Jack, wow. I loved music from an early age, so to have a show like a concert was a dream come true.  
Kung Fu: Remember, the lonely monk wandering the west in search of who knows what spreading Zen. I always watched just to see him snatch that pebble and throw it at the master, never happened though.  
Saturday Night Live (Original Cast): This was a true original show. The cast and their characters? Mr. Bill, Rosanne Rosanna Danna, the Coneheads, what a show! Not so fond of the latest versions.  
Mash: I loved the movie and the TV show. Both were good to me. I stole many a practical joke from this show.  
Designing Woman: To me said so many things us girls thought but never voiced. Julia Sugarbaker and her crazy sister Susanne. Susanne and her pig, it was just funny.   
 X Files: The only show I have bought the DVD version of. The conspiracy theories and all the weird creatures, what better way to spend a Sunday night?


    That is my top 10 list, you notice there is no modern TV shows? Because I don’t do reality, game shows, soap operas or sitcoms, that doesn’t leave me much. My television now is used for background noise.

    Have a good day all.




    30 comments:

    Paula said, 

    Oh, Jules, I am across the pond, yet I so much find myself in your words. Iam not a big TV fan and wonder how long it will take me to dicharge the TV in the USA as "not interesting enough" except News obviously. I even could find 3 shows which were running on German TV too. And I love these too. I lvoe this international co-incidences. Hugs across the pond

    September 20, 2010 at 7:13 AM  
    Anonymoussaid, 

    what a great list! X-Files is modern though I think :-)

    September 20, 2010 at 7:26 AM  
    Carolyn Abiad said, 

    This blogfest was hard for me because I don't really watch TV. I cancelled cable last year and hopping around this blogfest, I don't feel like I missed much. Streaming Netflix is my new fix for entertainment. Closure every time :)

    September 20, 2010 at 9:35 AM  
    Gregg Metcalf said, 

    You have a great list! I watched Voyage to the bottom of the sea. Forgot all about it for the list. I use to also watch Dark Shadows. Designing women was hilarious! How could I forget that? Lots of great shows.

    September 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM  
    Anonymoussaid, 

    Yep. We have a couple in common. Laugh In was great. I was a young un' at the time but could still appreciate the humor, dancing, music, and Goldie Hawn. Kung Fu was great too.

    Stephen Tremp

    September 20, 2010 at 9:58 AM  
    Alex J. Cavanaugh said, 

    Star Trek, MASH, and X-Files - great choices! Yes, I remember the days of limited channels. Once in a blue moon, you could even pick up a station on UHF.
    Thanks for participating in the blogfest!

    September 20, 2010 at 10:29 AM  
    Cruella Collett said, 

    So many people are naming Star Trek. Would you believe I have never watched it? Perhaps I should reconsider that...

    September 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM  
    Arlee Bird said, 

    Hooray! Finally some shows from my era that I recognize!
    A few I mentioned on my list. I was a "Midnight Special" fanatic--one of my biggest fantasies back then was to have a band and be on that show.
    Excellent list.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    September 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM  
    Budd said, 

    Say goodnight, Dick. That bit never gets old. Goldie was awesome on that show.

    September 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM  
    Unknown said, 

    Some great shows I've never heard of. Great... now I have to watch more TV!

    Clarissa Draper from Listen To The Voices

    September 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM  
    DL Hammons said, 

    I LOVED Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. And X-files was on my list until the very last cut. It ended on such a flat note that it ruined the rest of the series for me.

    September 20, 2010 at 12:23 PM  
    RHYTHM AND RHYME said, 

    You have a great list though I only knew a few but you found that out with my selection.
    I went out at 8am UK time and got home at 6pm so am all behind with my comments.

    Yvonne.

    September 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM  
    Ellie Garratt said, 

    You have some brilliant choices! And hear you on modern TV.

    September 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM  
    Jennie Bailey said, 

    Laugh In and Kung Fu - hadn't even crossed my mind and both are such GREAT shows!! X-Files did make my list, though. It seems to have made most lists!

    September 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM  
    Stephen T. McCarthy said, 

    DARK SHADOWS creeped me out big time when I was a kid. I'm still not sure I'm over it.
    ;o)

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    September 20, 2010 at 3:13 PM  
    Summer Ross said, 

    I used to watch designing women and x-files too- great list- and I'm right there with you I don't watch much TV, specially these days. lol Have a wonderful day Jules!

    September 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM  
    Jeremy [Retro] said, 

    such great choices, so many to choose
    :)........
    iZombie

    September 20, 2010 at 4:04 PM  
    Karen M. Peterson said, 

    I love catching old SNL reruns with Belushi and Dan Akroyd and Bill Murray and the rest. Classic!

    September 20, 2010 at 4:32 PM  
    Tammy said, 

    Good ones. So many I'd forgotten about! ;)

    September 20, 2010 at 5:53 PM  
    vic caswell said, 

    designing women! that was such a great show! this blogfest is reminding me of bunches of great shows i had totally forgotten about!

    September 20, 2010 at 6:28 PM  
    The Words Crafter said, 

    I can vaguely remember Laugh In and the Red Skelton show....I was really young.

    Designing Women-I was just talking about that show today, how funny!

    I really loved your list. I've watched many re-runs of Dark Shadows...wow.

    September 20, 2010 at 7:16 PM  
    Jemi Fraser said, 

    You've got some great shows here! I love MASH & Laugh In & X-Files. Awesome!! :)

    September 20, 2010 at 9:53 PM  
    Tabitha Bird said, 

    I am not a huge TV fan, but I loved MASH. Even as a little girl. And I was a little girl when it about finished :)

    September 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM  
    Angela McCallister said, 

    Great shows! Suzanne was hilarious. I love how inappropriate she was.

    I haven't thought about Kung Fu in a long time, and I haven't watched SNL in forever, also. I think it's good off and on, not very consistent lately.

    September 21, 2010 at 2:09 AM  
    Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said, 

    Great list. I particularly like Star Trek, Xfiles and MASH

    Lyn
    W.I.P. It: A Writer's Journey

    September 21, 2010 at 3:44 AM  
    Unknown said, 

    Wow, it's been so many years since I've owned a television that received any kind of broadcast signals, I think some of those shows may have still been on! I loved Mash, too :-)

    September 21, 2010 at 5:07 AM  
    T. Powell Coltrin said, 

    I loved Mash and Designing Women which are not on my list. There have been so many shows.

    September 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM  
    Kelley said, 

    This is yet another list that makes me feel super young :/ but i have seen the x-files and it is amazing!

    September 21, 2010 at 4:35 PM  
    Ella said, 

    We had 4 channels and PBS, didn't always come in. I loved Dark Shadows, we ran home to watch it, it was on at 3:30pm. I also had Star Trek and SNL; Classic TV at it's best! Great list~

    September 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM  
    Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

    Going UP