Do You Know a Nefarious Thief?

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

In the quite of the morning she knew. With dew drops glistening and the songs birds singing she knew and darkness fell upon her. Over night her world had become merely to duck and cover. “When and how did I become this silent victim?” she thought.

The night had allowed a nefarious thief to creep in and take all that had been so real to her and then vanish. “I do not want folks to pity me,” she thought as emptiness filled her soul. She tried to scream, “I will not give you credence,” but the evil had left its mark.

Soon the phone would be ringing, time it was short at hand. “Pull yourself together or they will know something is not right,” she demanded and yet still knowing the thief, he was not gone.

He now lurked within her darkness and like a masterful puppeteer demanded her to dance. Full of hopelessness and despair she obliged this wicked intruder. Covered for what others knew not there. The thief he just loitered and without remorse took more of what was there.

“I’m so sorry and please forgive me,” are the sorrowful words she now spoke. The thief he does not hear, he does not leave and is content to continue stealing from the darkness. Forever a victim she will be.

I wish and I pray this were not a true story but it is, for many of us. For the past ten years I have been in the company of this thief. I have witnessed it loot, lurk and puppeteer its victims right into hollow shells. It is the most nefarious thief of all. Alzheimer's or any form of dementia.

For those of you whom share my knowledge or are dealing with this on your own battle field, be strong my nefarious thief warriors. May we all be blessed with the patience of Job.

I write this because my Grandmother did not know it was my birthday. Just another jewel added to the loot of the thief. Though she is a master at disguise and deception, the thief he does rob her.

Peace…



18 comments:

Natasha said, 
This comment has been removed by the author.
October 26, 2010 at 9:12 AM  
Natasha said, 

My father had dementia, and I remember one particularly painful conversation with him where he informed me that his daughter lived in Bombay too, and did I know her.

It is horrible. Be strong.

October 26, 2010 at 9:12 AM  
Carolyn Abiad said, 

It runs in my family too. So difficult to handle someone slipping away like that...

October 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM  
Karen Lange said, 

My Mother had Alzheimer's, and she passed away this past spring. She was only 70.

Her legacy lives on in her daughters (I have 3 sisters); we were blessed to have such a wonderful mother. We're thankful for good memories.

My advice for anyone going through this as you said, focus on the good things and treasure the memories.

October 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM  
Alex Ong said, 

Sad situation, but beautifully written prose. Be well.

Alex
Breakfast Every Hour

October 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM  
Velvet Over Steel said, 

So very sorry for your pain, Jules!! I too have you, your grandmother and family in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Happy Birthday, Jules! Try to focus on the memories of your grandmother when she did remember & know!!

Big, Hugh, Tight HUG for you!!
Coreen

October 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM  
Danette said, 

One way or another, the process of aging and dying is horrible. My grandmother had a stroke and could barely talk. She knew me but we couldn't talk, couldn't walk together anymore in her final years. I don't accept euthanasia (I don't think...) but I understand it.

October 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM  
Cruella Collett said, 

It is terrible, losing someone like that before they are even actually gone. My grandfather is gradually getting worse too, but fortunately he has not yet started to forget who we are. I think that would be horrible.

October 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM  
Unknown said, 

That's so sad. My grandfather had it as well and when they don't recognize you anymore it just breaks your heart. I would hate to not remember my family anymore. How alone you must feel.

CD

October 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM  
Alex J. Cavanaugh said, 

I'm sorry, Jules. Somewhere inside, she does remember!

October 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM  
N. R. Williams said, 

A thoughtful and moving story. I sorry for your grandmother and sorry for you as well.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

October 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM  
Golden Eagle said, 

My grandmother stopped recognizing people as she got older, too. I'm sorry about your own family--it's hard to go through.

October 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM  
Summer Ross said, 

Jules~~ in reply to the comment you left o my blog- yes i will help whenever I can and I'm thrilled your writing more!

October 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM  
Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said, 

!!!!First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JULES!!!!

I'm so sorry you weren't able to celebrate with your grandmother on your special day. Alzheimers and dementias are awful thieves that take our loved ones away in bits and pieces.

It's not the same, but pick a different day to celebrate, one when she's 'present'. And play pretend with her. Pretend that it's really your birthday and have a little party with just you and her. Maybe that will help in some tiny way.

As Roland says: I'm in your corner and if you ever need or want to talk we can.

that rebel, Olivia

October 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM  
Mary@GigglesandGuns said, 

Prayers and thoughts with you and your family. Grandma holds you in her heart, know that always.

October 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM  
Flying high in the sky.... said, 

you have a brilliant control over expression through words.. the post had a hidden pain ...take care

October 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM  
Ella said, 

So sad Jules; Time can be a thief, too~ It is sad to see someone you love, not know, lose their memory, their sense of self and mind.
This was written so well...

Hold cherished memories dear of her and what you, two have shared, those
are treasures you can enjoy daily~
xXx
Happy Birthday~

October 26, 2010 at 10:57 PM  
Unknown said, 

I wish there were some comfort I could offer, Jules, but all I can say is I have ears to listen (or in this case, eyes to read) and a shoulder for you to lean on.

And I wish you happiness in this next year of your life.

October 27, 2010 at 2:13 AM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP