Grave Mortal Danger; Who Me?

Friday, October 22, 2010

I am sorry but I have to get this off my chest. Apparently, yesterday I put my grandmother and mother in grave mortal danger. Who me, the one who loves their grandmother and mother more than anything?

As you know or in case you don’t, one day a week I spend with my mother and grandmother; yesterday was that day. The weather was good; we had plans and thought all would be grand, NOT!

We started with a routine trip to the chiropractor to get our bones adjusted, followed by a stop at the cemetery. Fall colors and feeding the ducks, nice time. Again, our day was totally routine and enjoyable. It was time for lunch.
I do not drive fast with anyone in the car, by myself or with Ms Twister is another story but don’t try to get ahead of me. We traveled down an extra wide, two-lane road that has traffic lights and small turning lanes. This is where I apparently put everyone in the car in grave mortal danger.

Coming upon a red light with traffic backed up 5 cars deep from the turning lane, I made my dangerous decision. Our light red and not a moving car insight I decided to slowly go around traffic to the turning lane and just as I got there I saw them.

Blue and red lights appeared in the rear view mirror. I held up my hands as if to ask, “What do you want me to do?” I sat there, which I now know only angered the lovely policeman. The light turned green and then red, no way was I running a red light. The lovely policeman jumps out of his car and orders me to pull into the side street at the next green light.

I was confused; did he really want me to speed across traffic that had the right of way? Apparently so, he got tired of waiting, turned on his siren to stop traffic and to the curb we went.

As soon as he got out of the car I knew the lovely policeman was not happy, in fact I knew only to respond with, “Yes sir” and “no sir.” I can only assume the lovely policeman was having donut withdraws, his body language screamed attitude to say the least.

I was berated with questions of, “did I know what I did, is it a medical emergency and was I in a hurry.” All of which I answered with, “yes sir and no sir.” I knew I had crossed a yellow line, no it was not a medical emergency and no I was not in a hurry, which is why I was going 20 miles per hour.

He asked for my drivers’ license, insurance card and registration, which would have been okay except my mother was a day late in paying her insurance due to dad being in the hospital. The lovely policeman did not care or so we thought.

He ran his checks, retrieved papers from the printer in his trunk and came back to the car. Mom was given a break, he must have had a small heart somewhere, I was not. I was given a $163 fine for careless driving and a wonderful trip to traffic school where all expenses are NOT fully paid.

Now I do not mind the ticket; yes according to the law I was wrong and I admitted that but this lovely policeman’s attitude sucked. He was angry, condescending, just hoping I would start something and to top it all, admitted he had done the same thing. I guess wearing a bade does have its advantages.

As to the putting my mother and grandmother in grave, mortal danger (his words not mine)?

My grand mother just laughed and asked, “When did you do that?”

By the way, we went one block and witnessed another car ding exactly the same thing. I guess the lovely policeman was now at the donut shop.

I’ll be back later for Karen G’s N. R. Williams Halloween party.



14 comments:

Arlee Bird said, 

We should all be prepared for more traffic tickets. The cities need to raise more revenue to pay high salaries and pensions. At least that's the way it is in California.

Lee
Tossing It Out

October 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Anonymoussaid, 

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. You could try to fight the ticket, most police officers don't bother to show up for court dates...unless they have a vendetta. I personally cannot stand attitudes like that and I've ran into many officers with anger issues, attitude problems, etc. Unfortunately, it's all subjective and police officers pull people over when they want to...it's their decision to just give a verbal warning or write a ticket. My father is a retired policeman and even he has noticed the poor attitudes of many officers. It only takes several bad apples to ruin the bunch.

October 22, 2010 at 2:15 PM  
Mary@GigglesandGuns said, 

Lee is right. Cities see it as a way of revenue. Police here see it as a waste if it's not a danger to someone.

October 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM  
Alex J. Cavanaugh said, 

Sorry you got a ticket and a jerk in the bargain!

October 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM  
Nicole said, 

Eeeh always happens when you'd swear there was noo one there *grin* murphy's law I guess!

www.damselinadirtydress.com

October 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM  
Summer Ross said, 

Oh Jules! Sounds like it was eventful and unhappy. I hope the weekend goes better for you.

October 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM  
KK Brees said, 

Go to court. Tell your story. At the very least you'll get a reduced fine and possibly more.

October 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM  
Ella said, 

Jules, I am so sorry; I agree go to court and tell your story~

I received my first speeding ticket, Memorial Day last year. I deserved it, but the cop was hiding in a corn field, probably eating doughnuts~
I had just received news about someone I knew having cancer and didn't slow down. I have learned I can't talk on the phone unless I'm on the interstate, talking affects my driving. I have a heavy foot, so I was overdue. Beside living where I do the back roads are where all those Nascar drivers were raised...great stretch to cruise. xXx What is sad is: I didn't get caught in the Pontiac Grand Pree, with a turbo booster(sold it. No, I get caught in a Honda Civic...pathetic!

October 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM  
N. R. Williams said, 

Sorry that happened to you Jules, but I'm glad it worked out. When you first started writing this, I thought there was some emergency the unlovely cop was trying to get to. He or she must be having a hair up the butt day.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

October 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM  
Unknown said, 

Well, I all I now is that people in Mexico drive like morons and put people's life at risk all the time. Except you seem to care whereas many who do it here...don't.

Have a great weekend and don't beat yourself up about it too much.

CD

October 22, 2010 at 7:19 PM  
Tammy said, 

It's got to be a tough job, but I wish they'd save that attitude for the criminals rather than Grandma and family coming home from the cemetery. That was uncalled for.

October 23, 2010 at 10:20 AM  
Bossy Betty said, 

Rats! I do this little move all the time. Guess I had better stop. When he said you had put your grandparents in mortal danger, did you tell him it was OK, you had just taken them to the cemetery and they seemed to enjoy it?

October 23, 2010 at 6:13 PM  
Anonymoussaid, 

Hey I'm the Mom and it wasn't that the ticket made me upset it was the fact that the fine is $20.00 but the court cost is $143.00 and you don't have to go to court so there is NO court judge, NO court reporter or anyone else they have in there. So you have to pay for mailing them money! No wonder that justice is blind someone put out her eyes. This country has got to wake up and get us some leaders that work for us not the cities that bankrupt us. Oh well, everyone have a good week and watch out for policemen who don't want to wait in line and were too afraid to do what we did or don't want us to see them.

October 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP