Animal Write Blogfest: A Dog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Today I am participating in a blogfest. Our host is Dayana Stockdale at Writing from the Wrogan. The fest wants us to write from an animals POV and below is my entry. Please feel free to pop on over and read the other entrants.

Here on the deck I stand absorbing in what I know to be all mine. I have a strange sensation, someone or something has gotten in. “I know you are there, show yourself,” I demand. My ears, they raise like sonar on a ship and an attentive stillness takes hold of me. With my posture now rigid, I tune in to what I know is there. Who dares enter my domain?

The morning is like night, a fog gently rolls in and wild aromas titillate my senses. There, in the back corner I see movement, slight but it is there. “I see you, show yourself.” I shout, hoping to startle and get the upper hand. “I will chase you down.” 

With the speed of a thousand horses I bound, allowing my instinct to take the helm. I think not of pain or glory but of duty and honor, this is my domain. Toward the motion, galloping, I hear myself scream, “Get out, go away or else.” Then I look down, I am there; I am on it.

At the source of motion, my senses went off guard. The brazen intruder offered a passing glance and waddled when it walked, “You are just a little thing, how much harm can you really be?” I questioned of the small intruder. I step closer seeking merely to say hello. I did not see the warning sign; my senses had no clue. “Why are you stomping your feet?” I heard myself ask.

I had moved too close, fear engulfed this small intruder and without me knowing unleashed a sudden attack. The next thing I knew I went blind. It was as if hot wooden matches had been stuck in both my eyes. I heard myself scream in anguish but was sightless do much else. “Retreat,” my mind kept telling me and I grasped for a sense to escape.

Inch by inch I move backward until the distance it felt safe, and then I turned and ran. “Stop and clear your eyes,” my instincts shouted. I lowered my body and rolled my face in the moisture of the fog. “This is liquid fire,” I said and slowing my vision began to restore.

Back on the deck I felt defeated. My eyes still watering from the sudden attack I hang my in head shame. Never before had I been so instantly rendered defenseless, I have let my duty down. With my head hung low and my tail tucked tight, I begged, “Please, just let in.” 

Inside I feel rejected, a failure and simply do want a treat. I must be strong and tell the truth, “I did not chase away the intruder.” Just as I thought no praise would be offered and slowly raise my big eyes in a plea for sympathy.

There is no sign of sympathy, in fact they seem quit scared. “Why are you backing away from me?” I ask but all I hear is that funny sound. “Why are they laughing at me?” This does not call for laughter; honestly I let you down.

“What do mean I smell?” “Come here.” “What is a skunk?”

Most certainly, I do not like tomato baths.

Not sure if I captured this the best. Sometimes it is not easy being a dog and fulfilling all your instinctive duties. Thanks to Dayana for hosting and please go visit her blog.


19 comments:

Gail said, 

Many of my dogs have been in the same position!

October 13, 2010 at 7:20 AM  
Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said, 

I wish I knew about this blogfest. I have so much to say! Can't wait to go read the other entrees!

October 13, 2010 at 7:47 AM  
Corine Moore said, 

That sounds like a great writing assignment for the kids! :D I'm betting it was fun to write. It was fun to read... Thanks. :)

October 13, 2010 at 8:02 AM  
Golden Eagle said, 

Countless pets have ended up in that situation! :D

I didn't know what was happening at the beginning, but I was fascinated by it--I love the dog's voice! Great writing!

October 13, 2010 at 9:25 AM  
Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said, 

Ode to 'La-Pew' reeks havoc on Tiger the Wonder Dog far too often. Looks like the poor fella would get wise, but just to put it bluntly, Tiger is not the brightest crayon in the box!

Thanks so much for the hug, it's been a real ruff couple of weeks for me. We had so many difficult decisions to help Mom with both before and after Daddy's passing. Losing a parent is one of the hardest things I've done yet.

God bless you and have a very beautiful 'fall' day!!! :o)

October 13, 2010 at 9:51 AM  
MTeacress said, 

Haha! This happened to my doxy last summer. All the home remedies do not get that smell out. Sadly, only time.

October 13, 2010 at 11:36 AM  
N. R. Williams said, 

Poor dog. I guessed it was a skunk. If I were a dog my pride would be shattered as well.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

October 13, 2010 at 11:42 AM  
Southpaw said, 

Poor doggie! This was adorable.

October 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM  
RHYTHM AND RHYME said, 

Having had a dog in the past I loved this. extremely well written and such a pleasure to read.

Hope you health is much better.

Tale care.
Yvonne.

October 13, 2010 at 12:27 PM  
Aleta said, 

Funny about the skunk... but *sniff*... made me miss my dog...

October 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM  
Jo said, 

Very amusing and I think yet another great post idea -- sometimes we need a little inspiration and my love of all things furry (Robin Williamns included!) are indeed a worthy form of enlightenment!

Well done, my rainbow sister!

Peace and serenity,
~Jo

October 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM  
Carolyn Abiad said, 

Lol! Poor puppy, but such a cute story.

October 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM  
Marieke said, 

"Most certainly, I do not like tomato baths." That is just love :P :D

October 13, 2010 at 6:32 PM  
J.C. Martin said, 

Aww...poor pooch got skunked! I enjoyed this, it was really humourous. You captured the dog's innocence and fierce loyalty and territorialism (is that even a word?) really well!

October 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM  
Unknown said, 

I've never had a tomato bath before, but yes, I'm sure it's not fun. I love the look of life through a dog's eyes.

CD

October 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM  
Rachna Chhabria said, 

I like the post a lot. I felt bad for the dog. Tomato bath sounds bad. You got into the skin of the animal really well.
This Blogfest is fun and I am enjoying being a part of it.
Rachna

October 14, 2010 at 3:00 AM  
Jennifer said, 

Ah, I love this story!
The dog has such a military feel to him, and he certainly sounds like a German Sheppard or some other big dog being beaten when they didn't even know the game.

Jennifer

October 14, 2010 at 4:30 AM  
Dayana Stockdale said, 

Very fun! I love the sense of curiosity. I saw that coming too. I was like, Oh no its gonna be a skunk! I think you did a great job with the animal instincts, a big one for dogs being people pleasing. Thanks for participating!

October 14, 2010 at 4:34 AM  
roh morgon said, 

Yep. The small, waddling creature who stomped his feet is one I know well. I've given my share of tomato baths - never thought what it would be like to be the one that had to have the baths!

This made me smile. Thanks.

October 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP