Memorial Day: I Don't Make Plans

Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial day the unofficial kick off to summer and it is raining like cats and dogs, so I wonder what will this weekend bring? What surprises will the next three days unfold? If it is any thing like my past Memorial Day weekends I’m in trouble.

The rain I’m told will pass and the rest of the weekend looks good or at least for the weatherman. Myself I am not so sure. I have learned to fear this holiday and for good cause. Memorial Day weekend has always been a survival test for me.

I have survived weekends where the vehicle I was riding in suddenly became possessed. Refused to go faster than 45 MPH on the interstate and what should have been a three-hour drive turned into an eight-hour adventure. Our destination? We can just leave it at the fact that we did get to drive around it and then head straight to the auto part store.

I survived the weekend of my first canoeing experience. Where I was told to let the other person do all the talking and just sign the wavier. Yes, I was listening; he said, “Go around the damn,” not over the dam.  What are class III rapids, anyway? Class III rapids are what leave your legs looking a spousal abuse victim when you try them in a canoe.

I made it through numerous Memorial Day camping trips. Trips that where interrupted by hillbillies and hornets. Hillbillies on the next site over that used a generator to power their electric coffee pot. Survived a camp sight full of wood hornets that you soon realize are attracted to any form of light. It’s hard camping in total darkness. Neither weekend was either peaceful or relaxing.

I have even made it through holiday outings to the lake. I have rowed a boat to shore with skis, I have been dropped off in a cove and forgotten, why I have even gotten lost on the lake. Never count on “Jesus Saves” signs as your reference marker. Let’s just say I missed noticing the actual quantity of signs on the way out of the marina.

Oh, and never try to take a small Johnboat across the main body of a large lake, unless you take your Dramamine first.

As I have tired to explain Memorial Day evokes a sense of wonder in me. I wonder what dark memory will try to attach it’s self to me this weekend? Exactly why I sage my house, carry garlic and a rabbit’s foot in my pocket and DO NOT make plans for Memorial Day.

I hope you have great holiday and let me know if some dark memory crept into your weekend. But do check back, should I encounter any ill-advised memories I will share them.



3 comments:

Anonymoussaid, 

Sometimes the best times are times when you don't plan just go and let the chips fall where they may.

May 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM  
Unknown said, 

For some reason, I thought hornets went to sleep at night. Go figure!

May 30, 2010 at 3:15 AM  
Jules said, 

ANONYMOUS: I agree and I often let the chips just fall.

KOBICO: They do sleep at night but light pisses them off.

Thanks for the comments.

June 6, 2010 at 6:16 AM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP