Another Door Closes in Kentucky

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Have you ever heard the cliché, “for every door that closes another will open?” I have been told this my entire life and for the most part found it not to be a cliché but rather a fact. But I know for the first time in my life I have reached a door that will not open another.

We associate doors with many things in our lives; careers, opportunities, people, even chapters of time. The later of which is my associated door, the one that is closing. How do I know another door will not open? Because it is a chapter in time, the slamming of a door that has no opposite and equal reaction.

Two years ago I lost my grandfather, my Kentucky Wildcat mentor; relocated my grandmother to an assisted living facility and put their home on the market, just in time for the housing market to tank. For two years now the house has sat empty doing nothing more than requiring my father to maintain its up keep. This morning I was told the house has sold, my father has but one more time to mow the grass and thus a chapter in my life, a door, is shutting.

I remember cleaning the basement and garage out to earn enough money for my first aluminum bat. I remember my great grandmother standing in the kitchen giving me her secret for homemade dumplings. I remember the small room my grandfather built me in the basement. I remember making that my first stop upon returning from vacation every year. I remember all the “totally should not have worked” inventions my grandfather came up with to make something for my grandmother work. I remember evenings on the back porch and the pride my grandmother had in her flowers. I guess the one thing I remember most and still can feel today is the love, the love of we all shared in that house.

The closing of this door has no opposite and equal reaction because it is a door one enters as part of their journey in life. Though the house is just a symbol it is the memories that became the door. Now the door must close and as I deal with heartache and tears I realize; it does not matter that another door like this will not open, but rather, what ever door does open I will carry those memories right in with me.

I wipe my tears and wish that the new owners as fruitful a door as I have had in that house. That when their door closes they too, will have memories that come to life in their minds and will carry them through all the other doors. Enjoy the journey.



2 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said, 

Change - always something that gives us thought. Difficult to accept, but sometimes I have to remind myself that if there is no change, we can't go forward.

Lovely memories. They shape us.

May 6, 2010 at 2:35 AM  
mamadew1 said, 

Now you must make memories for someone else. This is not easy but there is always someone out there who needs a person in their lives who needs a place to find love. My grandparents home is a home I have always wanted to buy but it wouldn't be the same because they are not there. So I go back in my mind and relive the happy times.

May 7, 2010 at 6:00 PM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP