Apparenly It Is The Mindset

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Well, I think the personal storm cloud has lifted or at least for now it has. So I’m back at this keyboard and my mind feels like a racecar stuck in neutral. Let’s pop this thing in gear and go, want to?

I will not bore you with the details of the virus that thought me not worthy of attacking but simply say I am thankful. What I would rather bother you with are a few questions. Did you know many of the children in this country couldn’t write in cursive? That these same children consider cross burning freedom of speech?

I ask these question because while I spent the afternoon being totally inspired by the movie “Freedom Writers,” I was equally disturbed by the so-called normalcy of our children. It made me question my own sense of normal.

I believe in the antiquated “Three R’s” of education. Though this old dog did teach herself new tricks I still value the ability to both print and write in cursive. Penmanship I consider to be an extension of the person, hard to be an individual when you cannot sign your name.

What happens when the power fails and all their digital gadgetry dies with the last flicker of the battery? For these same children consider Beethoven to be a dog, Michelangelo to be a computer virus and have no idea of what pointing to wrist is asking. Please tell me somewhere there is a make-up class.

My sense of normalcy does involve future development and I believe in reaching for the stars but not at the cost of regression. Can one truly achieve forward progress if one has no idea from which they came? I guess this is why they say history repeats its self.

Which brings me to “cross burning.” I remember the civil rights movement, I remember the horrible images, I remember our torn apart country. I did not agree with cross burning then and I do not agree with it now. Cross burning has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

While I realize the 2003 Supreme Court ruling did strike down the Virginia state statue as unconstitutional. It did leave in place that portion in which burning a cross for hatred is illegal. I cannot think of anything but hate as a reason for burning a cross, can you? Exactly how does an action equal speech anyway?

Sorry, I’ll get off my soapbox now. I just wonder about the sense of normalcy with today’s children, have we shortchanged them? Is this normal to you? Do you wonder what would happen to our children if the power went out?

By the way a couple of my routine follower's suggested I go ahead and post the deranged things I wrote yesterday. Tomorrow I will do just that, post one. I warn you, it is dark.


If you want to know more about my data visit this link: Mindset List.



6 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said, 

Look forward to your blog tomorrow.
I enjoyed this one and it seems you are back on track.
Hope you have a good day.
Me? bought a WII EXCERCISE BIKE which has obstacles to get around. The funny thing is I can't ride an ordinary cycle let alone steer this one, any thing for a laugh.

Yvonne.

August 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM  
Summer Ross said, 

I'm glad the "virus" didn't attack you then, glad your back to your keyboard, and I hope all stays well for atleast a while so you can get back to your days. Good luck, and I did know a little about it. Thanks for posting

August 18, 2010 at 12:55 PM  
Alex J. Cavanaugh said, 

We grew up in a very different world than today's children.

August 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM  
Jules said, 

Yvonne, I'm so looking forward to hearing about the Wii bike. :D

Summer, Welcome Thank you for stopping by. Looking forward to hearing from you in the future.

Alex, I agree, I just can't get away from feeling old. :D

August 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM  
Arlee Bird said, 

Look forward to that "wacky" post tomorrow. I guess your readers will let you know.

I too am dismayed by the culture that is will be shaping tomorrow's children. I am concerned when what were once considered obscenities are now considered issues of freedom of speech. Then just try mentioning Jesus Christ at a graduation speech. Values turned topsy-turvy.

Lee
Tossing It Out

August 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM  
Tabitha Bird said, 

Hmmm... interesting post. I am not looking to popular culture to raise my children, so I am not at all worried about it. I am hoping that if I instill good values and live them out before my children that my children will learn to live in this world, but also to make good choices.

Freedoom of speech is a hard one. Where do you draw the line I guess. While I would never burn a cross, I support a culture that allows people freedom to make their own choices. It is a difficult issue though.

August 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP