Earthquake

Friday, January 6, 2012


The first Friday of the New Year and I’m sitting here pounding my head on the screen trying to knock a thought out. Not that I don’t have any but rather I have too many and I have to pick. Hummmm… which will be my expunged thought of the day?

I had this thought way back mid-last year but the timing was not right. I feel safe now in sharing this story and yes, it is a true story. My first Friday entry shall be a story.


I was living with my grandmother. Poor granny, I lived with her through some of my wildest years. It was a sunny Saturday, mid-morning and I was still recovering from the night before.

Head in hand, I needed a snack and came out of my room. Granny greeted me with cold fried chicken, hot coffee and a smile, then left the room. I finished my snack and intended to head back to my room, she had other plans.

Halfway down the hall I heard her summon me to her room. “Honey come here, we need to talk.” As I entered her room and sat down on the bed I knew this was going to be a lecture more than a talk.

”What time did you get home last night?” she quietly questioned. “I don’t know, it was late.” “Well, you know it isn’t proper for girls to be running around that late, don’t you?” I nodded my head and knew it best to just listen.

She went on explaining the perils of my actions and how ladies do not act as I was. I knew I needed to make eye contact in order for this lecture come to an end because no way was my midnight partying going to stop and I will never forget the next turn of events.

Out of her loving mouth came the words, “Honey you have got to change your ways.” But before I cold do anything more than look her in the eye, we heard what we thought was the basement garage door start to open.

”Your grandfather has bad timing,” and she stomped her foot on the floor but the sound continued. “Granny I do not think that is papa.” “Well, what is…”

She never got to finish that sentence because I was grabbing her arm and literally dragging her to the doorway. “It’s an earthquake, granny!”


There are so many nuances to this story that I have left out, this is a blog post you know. But the effect of hearing “Honey, you need to change your ways,” and then the earth shaking in agreement? Shall we just say, left an extreme impression on my midnight partying. My grandmother has never had impeccable timing, except for that one sunny Saturday.

RainbowPeace…


24 comments:

Larri said, 

I'm thinkin' God was backing up Grandma's words. ☺ Great Friday story! Perhaps you should make your stories a weekly blog post. It's a great way to start my weekend. ;) Happy Friday, friend! ☺

January 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM  
Paula said, 

This is too funny!You were wild, you make the earth shake in (dis)agreement!

January 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM  
RHYTHM AND RHYME said, 

Had a smile at this wonderful story. Well done Jules.

Yvonne.

January 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM  
Southpaw said, 

That is a great story. The timing was incredible. Yup, I think I would listen to granny too. ;)

January 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM  
Julie Flanders said, 

Oh my gosh, that is some sign! I would have been so freaked out I probably would have run off and joined the convent. Well, not really, haha.

Great story! I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead, Jules. :)

January 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM  
Karen Lange said, 

Talk about an earthshaking event, your granny couldn't have timed it better. :) Thanks for sharing with us. So, did you listen to her...?

Happy weekend!

January 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM  
The Blogger Formerly Known As said, 

Whenever my grandmother talked to me it felt like an earthquake; the vibes were just as scary. But she never managed a real one. Did you heed your granny’s words though?

January 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM  
Susan Flett Swiderski said, 

Your grandmother must've been a very wise woman. Even the universe agreed with her.

January 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM  
DL Hammons said, 

Let me guess...you preferred yours shaken...not stirred. :)

January 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM  
floweringmama said, 

Seems like maybe she did have perfect timing!

January 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM  
Berts Blog said, 

Hye Jules, here is the link to the ever famous Mango Minster contest. http://mangominster.blogspot.com/2012_01_01_archive.html

this is my first year so it is new to me to but it is turning out to be pretty fun. Now of course, as a judge I am not allowed to knowingly take a bribe, Knowingly being the key word.

It is mostly the dog bloggers that do this. just some crazy fun

Loved todays post, Your grandma had style.

January 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM  
Jemi Fraser said, 

Your Granny is GOOD! Anyone who has that much pull with the universe deserves some serious respect! :)

January 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM  
Velvet Over Steel said, 

Yes, God knew you weren't listening or going to change 'unless' he added his own 'message' of sorts. ;-)

Great story, Jules!!! So.. did you listen? ;-)lol

January 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM  
Talli Roland said, 

Fabulous story, Jules. Happy 2012!

January 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM  
Lost_without_a_Map said, 

...umm-mmm, maybe the Earth just had gas at that exact moment? You know, it tried to hold it, but it just slipped out (it was supposed to be a quiet one =).

January 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM  
Tracy said, 

ahhh, a very wise Granny! ...if I do say so myself!
I do think the Earth was nodding in agreement...

January 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM  
Tammy said, 

I'm so glad you didn't get struck by lightning!

January 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM  
Flying high in the sky.... said, 

oh GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am laughing!!! what a beautiful post!!! am laughing!!!

January 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM  
Anonymoussaid, 

Sometimes I hold my breath and jump up and down, but that only shakes something loose from my past and then I end up having hallucinations.

January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM  
Mary@GigglesandGuns said, 

I'm impressed! When the Big Guy gives you a sign, He doesn't mess around. :o)

January 10, 2012 at 7:21 AM  
Manzanita said, 

Jules,
A great story. Lectures rarely work. BUT to add shaking earth, I think one can get their point across. The finger was pointed to you, Jules. Sounds like she made her point. :)

January 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM  
Green Monkey said, 

TALK TO ME lovely lady!!!! I miss you!!!!

March 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP