The New Year Begins

Monday, January 3, 2011

For my first true post of 2011 let us begin with some observations. We all know I do not fly, so airport security is of no concern to me but that does not mean I do not notice things. Did you experience airport security over the holidays? Do you know someone who did?

Though, many of you have documented the security process, I wonder how many of you actually looked around? Early this morning I had such an opportunity. Today Ms. Twister began her travels in the advancement of her career and I was the airport shuttle. However, I took the time to look around.

My first observation was that express check-in is a ploy; nothing about it is express. While waiting for our turn in line I began to notice those fellow passengers of Ms. Twister. Two huge trunks in front of us was a very prim elderly lady.

”Someone's Grandmother,” I thought and sure enough. She was going to see her first grand baby and it showed in her face. I smiled and my eyes were drawn to the next gentleman checking in.

He must have known no snack was provided and along with bags, carried a McDonald’s snack. My stomach started to growl and as he forgot the bag on the counter I almost grabbed it. But what was holding the line up?

There at the counter was a middle aged redheaded woman. She was doing her best to provide all the papers required for boarding and to her left I assume her daughter. A teenage girl with down syndrome just bubbling with joy and very proud of her purple bubble patterned carryon bag. Even with drugs I could never be that happy about getting on a plane.

The loud speaker came on. Some hillbilly thought they could park at the curb and now was informed their vehicle was loaded for towing. Which brings me back to express check-in. Seems an entire SUV can be loaded before a human can.

I looked at Ms. Twister and we both laughed as a young girl broke in a dead run for the door. She was waving and shouting,”Bye honey, call me!” I looked again at Ms. Twister and added, “Love ya, mean it.” A west coast saying we learned from a very dear friend.

Ms. Twister was having a hard time and all the while being very brave. I knew she wanted this but at the same time did not. She does love to travel, just not alone. A real family girl, it is hard for her to leave like this and I have been spending extra time to make things easier for her.

I gave her my MP3 player, loaded with all her favorite tunes and we now have a printer she can print to from anywhere. I have signed up for Skype, though her techno geeks have to put the webcam on her company laptop, it will hopefully make her away time easier. The plan is to be able to see and talk to family, as well as Mouse. It will just take some getting use to.

Finally for those of you who have either resolved or goal-ed yourself to lose weight for this new year, there is hope. While loading and unloading Ms. Twister’s large bag I just knew she would be paying extra. That thing had to weigh eighty pounds. Set it on the airport scale and poof, 47.5 pounds.

If you feel at some point this year you are not making your resolution/goal just go stand on an airport scale. Instantly you will be 40 pounds lighter.

Any who, I’ll be in a flux getting use to my new schedule and responsibilities so bear with me my friends. Until then…

Peace.



26 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said, 

Well written Jules. I have to lose these pounds, my doctor said it wasn't good for me, yet I do excercises....not so much lately as my leg has been painful, but I WILL LOSE THOSE POUNDS comewhat may.

Take care
Yvonne.

January 3, 2011 at 10:50 AM  
Alex J. Cavanaugh said, 

You could write an entire book on airports, procedures, and people!

January 3, 2011 at 11:06 AM  
Unknown said, 

Ugh, I'm not a fan of airports.. or traveling in general. Everything about it seems to be a hassle. From the security checks to the change in money, to the crazy weather, to the violence. Sometimes I understand people who just stay in their house. The only reason I'd go to an airport is to weigh myself.
CD

January 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM  
Mary@GigglesandGuns said, 

Don't fly much anymore but like to be early to meet flights. People and airports are a great source of inspiration.

January 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM  
unnamed lad said, 

happy New Year, Jules!

i'm absolutely dreading this year's flights! there's three scheduled already and i'm the one that will have to go thru THAT other line simply because of my wrist and knee braces.

oh joy....NOT!

January 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM  
Southpaw said, 

For some reason this post makes me want to watch AIRPLANE.

January 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM  
Golden Eagle said, 

I haven't been on a plane that I remember, so . . . I can't really comment on traveling. :P

But I love going to places where I can watch people, if only to observe what they're doing. I find it's a good writing prompt!

January 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM  
RHYTHM AND RHYME said, 

Just had a thought have to lose those pounds as that long haul flight to Nashville will be uncomfortable. have been trying to get on the list for Alex's blogfest without success, hopeless with pcs.
Yvonne.

January 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM  
N. R. Williams said, 

Love this post. I think I will resolve to find a more peaceful living arrangement.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

January 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM  
Summer Ross said, 

Maybe these observations will make their way into one of your stories someday? I'm so proud of you because you are working so hard to help someone, I know what that is like and you deserve major props. You are such a kind person to lend your MP3 player! have a wonderful day Jules, and I'll be here- no matter when you post :)

January 3, 2011 at 1:49 PM  
Bossy Betty said, 

Love these observations. I sort of like airports. They are interesting to me. Good luck to Ms. Twister!!!

January 3, 2011 at 2:28 PM  
Paula said, 

I could write an entire book on the American security check alone. Not to mention 30 years of traveling AND being a former Lufthansa project manager........this time however on X-mas eve airport security was kind on me....
I am still a bit overwhelmed with all what is going on, yet in good spirits. Will be up and regular soon again. Hugs from you new neighbor...
Paula xxx

January 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM  
Denise Covey said, 

So Jules, 2011 is going to continue to be replete with your observations. Ha Ha. Loved it. Happy New Writing Year!

January 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM  
Chris Phillips said, 

I hope to fly as little as possible from now on. The body scanners are a total violation of the 4th amendment. I'd rather be less safe and ungroped. last time I flew a guy tried to bring a rifle stock through checked baggage and the bag scanners freaked out. Good times.

January 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM  
Tracy said, 

Jules, actually I DID have a run in with aiprot security; yep, TSA at its finest!
Nicholas' friend was flying home to Ohio and since she was an unaccompanied minor we all got boarding passes to see her off. WEll, I take my shoes off, put them in the bucket. My son and Maddy do the same thing and they direct the three of us to the scanner while my husband just walks through. Then because Maddy had candy papers in her pocket they called over a female TSA and they patted her down...really? She is 11 years old...oh, so ridiculous...that's my story!

January 3, 2011 at 6:23 PM  
Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said, 

Jules,
I used to love airports and flying. Now, it is a hassle. Having to take my shoes off is the worse of all the security measures. I feel like my dignity is dragging on the dirty floor...lol

Oh well.

Happy New Year!!
Doris

January 3, 2011 at 8:10 PM  
floweringmama said, 

Yikes, I haven't flown in over 15 years. I visited family over Christmas and am finally home. Fortunately, I didn't have to fly to get there!

Looks like your new year is off to a great start but I bet you'll miss your iPod!

January 3, 2011 at 9:54 PM  
Flying high in the sky.... said, 

:) you have an acute observation skill :)

January 4, 2011 at 2:46 AM  
Unknown said, 

Hi Jules! Thanks for the follow, and I look forward to getting to know you better. I traveled a LOT in 2010. I never had trouble with airport security, even when the whole body scan-dal broke. We don't have the machines here in Atlanta (yet), and I didn't encounter them in any of the NYC airports, either. Where the heck are they?? Anyways, there is no better place to people watch than in airports, and I sketched many, many characters in them this year. Fun!

January 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM  
Tara said, 

I hate flying. But I enjoyed reading about your observations.

January 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM  
Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said, 

I see you enjoy the same people watchin' game I do. I loved this post sweetie!!!

God bless ya girl and have a terrific New Year!!!

January 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM  
oldgreymare said, 

I am not a good flyer by any means but our sky caps here at McCarren are super fast. Never have a problem, just zip right in..so then I can sit and dread actually getting on a hunk of metal that thinks it can fly.

xx
x

January 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM  
Natasha said, 

There was a time when I was such a frequent flyer, many of the airhostesses knew me by name. And the only thing that got me through all those flights was people watching.

January 5, 2011 at 2:45 AM  
Tammy said, 

Airports are the best places to people-watch, aren't they? Happy travels to Ms. T.

January 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM  
Anonymoussaid, 

Loved it, Loved it, Loved it!!!!!!!!!!! I could see both of you through the entire story. You're a terrific writer.

January 7, 2011 at 7:49 PM  
Unknown said, 

Happy new year, Jules. Just trying to catch up on my reading. I've missed a lot!

Airports are absolutely ridiculous these days, paragons of inefficiency and not really any safer than they were before they imposed all these new restrictions. Most people are vehemently against high speed rail, but I have to say that I'm looking forward to having that option rather than dealing with airports.

January 8, 2011 at 4:08 AM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP