Movement & Links

Friday, January 7, 2011

I really had planned a short story for this post but Karma had another idea. I achieved nothing I sat out to achieve, nothing I tell you! A week full of movements; up, down and sideways I have been moved. Can you relate?

Since I was a child, realizing this now, I have inherited my mother’s trait of saving lost souls. I attract those lost puppies, the stray cats and wounded wing birds of the world. I apparently have become the “Dear Abby” of my community.

Phone rings, a friend, then all I get to say is, “Hey, how are you?” This week must have been my turn to man to crisis line. No major problems just lost souls of the world needing an ear and creating a movement in my world. This was to be topped by the cause movement.

The “Cause Movement” is when something enters your life and the injustice is so strong it becomes a cause. For 2011 my cause will be the term “Assisted Living” as defined by Kentucky. Long story short, apparently anyone with apartments that have an elevator can call themselves an “Assisted Living” community in my fine state of Kentucky.

Trust me, I have researched all the legislative regulations and found there aren’t any. In the state of Kentucky it is easier to put an elderly defenseless person out on the street than a scum bag drug peddler. This instills a fear in these people; they will not complain and understand they are defenseless. Again, a movement, a cause and yes, it is concerning my grandmother but then everyone has a grandmother.

It is appalling to me that we pay for the care of an individual only to find compassion is not part of the contract. Speaking of compassion, leads me to my other movement of the week, Ted Williams.

Ted Williams is the gentleman with the golden voice that won the You Tube lottery. The homeless guy who now has so many offers he most definitely is overwhelmed. But he was not my movement, that was a question I asked myself while watching his interview. How many other Ted Williams are out there?

Homeless people are another passion to me; that lost puppy syndrome again. If you follow me you know I use to share my lunch with them, I paid attention to the “Shoe Shine Man,” and I feel compassion for them. That feeling of, “There but for the grace of god go I,” rings like a huge fog horn in my head.

With the state of the world today it just makes me wonder how many Ted Williams we do not yet know about. Is that Monet you passed on the freeway ramp? Was that Beethoven outside the grocery door? Is that Clara Barton living in that cardboard box?

To which I have to ask myself, “Can all they need be a You Tube video?” Nah, I know Mr. Williams won the lottery in that regard but it does make me wonder.

A week of movements and then one good movement. I do not want to jinx myself so I will hold that moment until the cards have played out. It is however the reason I have no short story. The good news just blew the words right out of my mind.

I want to leave you with a thought. The elderly are our link to the past, the Yoda’s, if you will of our world. The sages of times gone by and the voice of “Been there, done that, didn’t work.” Compassionately respect them.

Our homeless or down trodden are simply, but by the luck of the draw, you and I. We are not perfect creatures, mistakes we have all made. They are the link to the reverse image we see every morning in the mirror. My closing thought?

We are but as strong as our weakest link.

Peace…. 



28 comments:

Summer Ross said, 

really wonderful post Jules. Your compassion is very clear and evident. But I knew that about you. You are a true good soul.

January 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM  
Alex Ong said, 

I have a lost soul/broken hurt soul syndrome too, hence why my dating life has been such a car crash. We have to remember we can't save everyone, we only have to be the best to ourselves first and then we can be strong enough to help even just one person.

Be Well,
Alex
Breakfast Every Hour

January 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM  
Lola Sharp said, 

Oh I love your kind, compassionate heart.

And, boy do I ever take in the strays...people and animals.

Lovely, thoughtful post. Thank you.
Love,
Lola

January 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM  
Unknown said, 

What a beautiful post, Jules. It's important to see those who are oftentimes invisible to society. Love the idea that we all link together.

Happy weekend!

January 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM  
Alex J. Cavanaugh said, 

Every one of us contains unique memories, visions, and skills. Sadly, most of those things are lost due to situations such as you described.

January 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM  
Anonymoussaid, 

So true, Jules.

January 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM  
floweringmama said, 

I really don't think you and I could be any more alike. My husband calls me a bleeding heart. I say I am simply human. One of my grandmothers lived the so called assisted living until she passed. Now my other grandmother is struggling to stay in her home but I'm not sure how much longer she will be able to. I'm afraid she'll end up in a nursing home and that's not the place for her either but assisted living is not a financial option for her.

January 7, 2011 at 2:13 PM  
Tracy said, 

Oh Jules, and I happen to like you that way..the compassion, care and empathy you encompass is truly remarkable!
Obviously, God had other plans in store for you and your writing this week and some days are just like that; they don't follow our course of action as anticipated.
Good you can be flexible!
Hugs...

January 7, 2011 at 2:46 PM  
RHYTHM AND RHYME said, 

You Jules are an insspiration to us all. I have a friend who is always taking in stray cats, dogs, birds, and she is a wonderful person like you.

Have a good week-end.
Yvonne.

January 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM  
RosieC said, 

Great thoughts, Jules. I can't believe KY can have such loose laws regarding the elderly. And I also share my lunches with the homeless. Whatever little things we can do...

January 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM  
Gail said, 

Fantasically awesome post!!!

So very true, the very people that society shuns are the ones who can offer us the most.

January 7, 2011 at 8:01 PM  
Mary@GigglesandGuns said, 

Embedded in your forehead is a flashing sign that says "Talk to me. I listen." You can't see it in the mirror. Only those who need you see it.
I know because I've looked for mine.

January 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM  
RHYTHM AND RHYME said, 

Jules as I said you are an inspiration to us all, there is an award on my post Inspiration.
Yvonne,

January 8, 2011 at 9:24 AM  
N. R. Williams said, 

Wonderful Jules. I too share a passion for all things homeless. I wish I had the money to do more.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

January 8, 2011 at 3:20 PM  
Anonymoussaid, 

Some days I don't achieve much beyond taking care of my daughter. But then there are times when I think I accomplish a lot. I did "save" (as he tells me) my homeless brother about five years ago. We can't do something this dramatic every day, but when they happen they provide wonderful memories. I think "saving lost souls" is one of the greatest things one can do in this life! It's a win-win situation!!!

January 8, 2011 at 6:37 PM  
Ella said, 

Great post Jules! It is something I don't understand, we as a country don't respect the elderly. We have so much wisdom to gain, from them.
I attract lost souls, too~
I am so happy for Ted Williams; He seems like a sweet, compassionate man, who lost his way. We all have potential and need to view each other in this respective light~xXx

January 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM  
Arlee Bird said, 

That was indeed food for thought. I'm afraid that things may be getting worse for all of us and the have nots are going to be having it tougher than they have now. I hope good things are in store for all of us in the future, but it can be easy to be pessimistic when I look around and when I listen to the news.
Hope we all have a decent 2011.

Lee
Tossing It Out

January 9, 2011 at 12:50 AM  
Tabitha Bird said, 

The world sure needs compassionate souls :)

January 9, 2011 at 2:44 AM  
The Words Crafter said, 

Bless your heart! I can't write too much here, I'll go into 'soap-box' mode. I agree with you, though, and it's very angry-making how people are treated. GGGRRRR!!!!

January 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM  
Tammy said, 

Hooray for you and much good karma to you. The glaring truth is that the elderly are WHO WE ARE BECOMING. You are a good soul.

January 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM  
OJ Gonzalez-Cazares said, 

beautiful Jules! just thoughtful and amazing. And his name is Ted Williams!! like the TED WILLIAMS from the RedSox!! wow!! speaking of faith! I whish you the best for this 2011!

January 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM  
Kittie Howard said, 

Jules, your compassion would melt steel. You're terrific!

It's somewhat my mantra that we're only as strong as the weakest link so I'm very happy to see you feel the same.

January 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM  
Anonymoussaid, 

You're awesome! My brother and I used to rescue animals like birds and cats. So I can totally relate. Compassionate and a sense of humor. Again, you're awesome!

January 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM  
Paula said, 

Your loving soul is such an inspiration to me. I am compassionate and learn to be compassionate to myself too. And balance it a bit more.

January 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM  
jeanlivingsimple said, 

Oh how I do relate.Helping others is rewarding but be sure to have healthy boundaries. Some folks will drain you.
I watched Ted Williams on one of the morning shows with his Mom. Interesting story for sure. I hope he makes it. His voice is incredible.
A very inspiring post, Jules!

January 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM  
Theresa Milstein said, 

So sad. How can we let our elderly suffer in their last years? It could be all of us someday.

January 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM  
Flying high in the sky.... said, 

this issue has made me restless since i started thinking...but i must say i am a pure failure when it comes to action ...the only little solace is that when i was staying in YWCA we would go to an old age home with loads of love and stuff ... they were so beautiful...that stopped too once i shifted my base.... no words to say anything further...

January 11, 2011 at 1:45 AM  
Samantha Vérant said, 

What a lovely post, Jules. Part of what is missing in the world today is compassion. I think we may be cut from the same mold!

January 11, 2011 at 8:56 AM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP