Have You Ever Had An X-Ray?

Monday, November 8, 2010

Today is the 115th anniversary of the X-ray, did ya know? Did ya know I have not one but two folders full of this lovely invention? True, I do, more is better isn’t it? Oh what stories these films could tell, have you had x-rays?

Looking back I sometimes wonder why I am not now a human glow stick? It is sad when one can assume an x-ray position with no outside coaching or instructions. So why have I had so many? What stories could these films tell?

A tomboy by birth I broke my first bone somewhere between the ages of 4 and 6. It was my right arm, fell off a fence playing cowboys and Indians a game I think all girls play, right?

Went all day, playing and riding rides at the local amusement park, then my mother noticed me not using the arm. It was broke, my first.

Second, or second through sixth, completely crushed my right foot. Racing for shotgun and winning, slammed the truck door on it. Wore that cast out in two days playing kickball. Do you know how far you can kick a rubber ball with 20 pounds of plaster on your foot?

Brief brake in the bone braking and then six years later, right arm again. Just slid in home, someone helped me up and, poof broke. Not to curtail my ball playing I finished the season with 5 pounds of plaster on my arm.

My softball career led to braking about every rib and finger I have, not to mention my nose twice. First time I broke my nose I really have no memory of. I remember getting it re-broke the next day and painfully learning the difference between putting dogs and people to sleep, and the second time?

I learned never to drink peppermint schnapps and play snowball. Yes I watched that ball all the way in, right into my nose!

There actually was a third time but the only lesson there was trees do not move. Trees do not care that you drive a 66’ Chevy and will gobble up your entire front end.

Then you have all those films that said, “Yes you used your head.” Like the time I slid into home only to be forcefully tagged out by a woman 100 pounds my senior.  She looked like a nice giant. Or like the time I dove head first into a fence catching a foul ball.

Someone was supposed to yell, “Fence” but I swear I did not hear a thing, except the ringing in my ears. Funny that fence pole still has a dent in it, so there take that.

Ms Twister’s made contributions. While chasing hot air balloons in the back of her truck I managed to hit my head enough to damaged all the muscles in my head, neck and back. Lost an entire week of my life for that one. Weird, I only remember getting up once to go to the bathroom.

Then there was the time she insisted she knew the way while hiking, not! And while taking a break from our hours of endless rambling I slipped fell on rocks in a creek and broke my collarbone. Took until the next morning to feel it, did not matter. I still had to carry not only my pack but also hers and help with our trekking pals. They were worn out from Ms Twister knowing the way.

Now you see why I wonder why I don’t glow in the dark and believe me I just hit the high points. Seems logical someone with this sort of history in radiation should glow. Oh well, my tribute to the anniversary of the x-ray.

Peace….



18 comments:

Golden Eagle said, 

Gosh. Those are a lot of broken bones! Ouch!

The only thing I've ever broken was my toe; the only x-rays I've ever had were of my teeth!

November 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM  
N. R. Williams said, 

LOL Jules. I have broken too many also, but I started much older and never played anything but sit on my @#%$^&* while out. Now, after two surgery's to replace both hips from a car accident, I have to go in once every two years to have an x-ray of both hips to be sure that my state of the art, stainless steal babies are still in place.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

November 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM  
Bossy Betty said, 

You've certainly contributed to the X-Ray biz!!! I've had quite a few, but my younger son is the "winner" here!

November 8, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
Caddie said, 

I've just wandered by. Your post about xrays boggled me. Possibly a broken toe in my biography! I think you might try for a "Guiness" spot! Be careful; you don't need more pictures for your collection nor "Glow Fuel".

From your blog name, I think you might like my rainbow. Wish you would take a look. It was astounding for me to see. Pictures posted last week of it.

Is this your lovely music I am hearing or belonging to the blogger you follow? I'll click here and find out. I'll keep you in favorites and browse in time.

November 8, 2010 at 11:43 AM  
Mary@GigglesandGuns said, 

Jules, have you ever considered that you may not be as athletic as you believe? All those broken bones--just saying'. LOL ;)

November 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM  
Karen Lange said, 

Oh so that's what that glow over to the east of here is...:)

November 8, 2010 at 12:55 PM  
Paula said, 

Gosh, NOW I finally understand what this glowing lining is on the horizon in the west!!!! Your glow. Oh Dear, you match my history, cant you the this glow in the East, over the pond? Mary is right, maybe this athletic thing holds some truth- Love from one glow to the other one

November 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM  
Arlee Bird said, 

That's a lot of breakage! I was never very athletic and not overly daring so I never really broke anything. I have had some xrays over the years, but those were mostly from the dentist.

I always thought it was kind of funny how they'd put that protective cover over your chest and the dental assistant would flee out of the room while they took the dental xrays. I mean, what about my brain? Shouldn't we be concerned about that? Or maybe they'd concluded long ago that there wasn't much brain to worry about.

Lee
Tossing It Out

November 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM  
Okie said, 

Nice post...and happy birthday to the x-ray machine. :)

I've only had a few x-rays taken in my life (aside from dental exams...and I agree with arlee's question/concern above, I'd always wondered about the safety factor).

I've been very grateful for some of the discoveries x-rays have found in my wife, kids and other loved ones.

Long live cool technological advances in science and medicine. :)

November 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM  
Summer Ross said, 

Wowee! Jules thats alot of broken bones. I have never had one single broken bone my whole life thus far (28 years into it) my youngest had her leg broken when her older sister sat on it...but yeah- thats alot for one person. I hope you don't have more anytime soon.

November 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM  
unnamed lad said, 

hi Jules:)

now i'm a klutz and anything/everything can go south like really quick around me. but you.....!!!
you're the first person i've ever met that's had so many self induced injuries! does your family ever instruct you to "just go over there and sit?" :)

November 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM  
OJ Gonzalez-Cazares said, 

see? everything happens for a reason... YOU are the reason why the X-rays were invented! ;)

November 8, 2010 at 9:06 PM  
T. Powell Coltrin said, 

Wow, we need to salute you too, Ms. x-ray queen.

November 8, 2010 at 11:06 PM  
T. Powell Coltrin said, 

Wow, we need to salute you too, Ms. x-ray queen.

November 8, 2010 at 11:06 PM  
Natasha said, 

Gosh, have you had experiences with the X-ray machine!

November 9, 2010 at 2:01 AM  
Unknown said, 

Do you get bulk discounts with the radiologist?

November 9, 2010 at 4:05 AM  
RHYTHM AND RHYME said, 

I think the x-ray was invented for you and me both, you will not believe this but only today I had to have a chest x-ray, so to your answer Yes I have had an x-ray many times plus one today.

Yvonne

November 9, 2010 at 8:40 AM  
Let's Talk, Leave A Comment

Going UP