Wednesday, January 11, 2012
I was fortunate enough to know a living great-grandmother complete with all her wisdom. Along with this wisdom came her simplicity of home décor, her kitchen my favorite room in her house. This room was true comfort to me and the décor?
The décor was cooking utensils, items one actually used to prepare a meal. We now have gotten away from hanging such kitchen décor but I remember those kitchen walls and my favorite wall? The one that held a huge collection of Jell-O molds.
Jell-O, when prepared in these molds became a culinary master piece, another thing we have seen go to the wayside. If you could imagine an animal, mineral or vegetable it was a Jell-O mold and I miss them.
I miss the flowery rings that when flipped over and the Jell-O revealed became a jiggling bouquet. I miss the fact that I had to sit all through an entire meal before I was allowed to eat that jiggling bouquet.
As I sit here writing this I also realize I miss that wall of Jell-O molds and all the memories each one held. I can still see them hanging on that wall like an arrangement of fine art work. But of all the molds that hung on that wall, there is one I seem to have missed.
My great-grandmother was a practical woman; she would never have taken her Jell-O molds out of the kitchen, what was the point? The only thing that left that kitchen was the actual Jell-O you had to wait to eat. So I ask you, what has changed?
I will tell you what has changed, the new Jell-O mold and great-granny would not have hung this one on the wall. People have apparently found spandex and consider this to be the new Jell-O mold. Well, it is not people!
I do not care what Jell-O flavor you are parading around in your spandex, the rule is: Do not take your Jell-O molds out of the kitchen. Get It, Got It, GOOD!